The dictionary defines sleep as way to "rest by suspension of exercise and powers of body and mind." Sleep is
state in which conscious mind stops functioning and entire nervous system takes a "slow down" attitude.
During sleep, body rests and repairs itself.
There are two broad phases of sleep i.e., slow - wave sleep and dream sleep.
The former phase is a slow-wave sleep wherein entire system relaxes and adopts a "slow-down" attitude. The latter
phase is dream sleep phase. Wherein your dreams have an indirect connection to emotional state of your mind
bringing to fore all bottled up tension.
Your muscles are said to be relaxed during dreams,, however, it must be noted that your breathing and pulse rates tend to
be much more rapid and irregular. Basically, getting your eight hours of sleep is considered normal. However, you may require about five to six hour of sleep as you grow
Beauty and sleep are co-related. Lack of beauty sleep triggers off blotchy skin, lustreless hair, dull tired eyes, illness,
headaches, sluggish body functions and insomnia. Difficulty in falling asleep or sleeping soundly is known as insomnia .
Insomnia causes degeneration in body. The need for sleep varies from individual to individual and it tends to decline
as you grow older.
tranquilizers cannot cure Insomnia and traditional ways of catching sleep fail miserably. Insomnia is associated
with anxiety and tension of individual combined with self perpetuated tension of sleeplessness.
Catch your sleep:
1.sleep can be retarded by Stuffy, heated rooms .
2. Set aside a time and get to bed at appointed hour every night till it forms a habit with you.
3. stimulants like alcohol and caffeine should be avoided before bed time.
4. Use a good mattress with uniform softness.
5. Avoid too many pillows.
6. Never use tranquilizers to induce sleep.
7. Have a warm pre-bed bath as it helps to actuate sleep.
8. Relax for an hour before bed time. Try flipping through a light magazine.
9. Sleep can be onduced by drinking a glass of warm milk .
10. Alternatively, you may like to try Peter Rabbitaposs' secret to induce sound sleep. Take 1 litre of water, add lettuce
leaves and boil well. Allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes.